WHY WE NEED TO GO TO MASS EVERY SUNDAY? HERE ARE SOME 5 GOOD REASONS
- To adore God, thank Him, ask, ask Him pardon for our sins.
- To receive God in Holy Communion as nourishment for our soul if we are in the state of grace.
- To love God, make Him happy, and as a consequence, be ourselves happy and know that we are loved by Him above all.
1. Sunday is the day of the Lord.
- It is the day when Our Lord rested after creating the universe, and the day when Our Lord Resurrected from the dead, thus overcoming sin, death, evil and the devil.
2. God told us to keep his day holy.
- Yes, it is the 3rd Commandment, meaning, it is not optional.
- And the best way to keep his day holy is to dedicate to Him at least 1 hour every Sunday (which is really nothing compared to the hours we dedicate for rest, sleep, sports, work, internet, tv, shopping, “malling” etc.)
- For this reason, Jesus instituted the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist during the Last Supper and instructed His Apostes -and their succesors and collaborators- to “Do this in memory of me.”
3. To adore God, thank Him, ask, ask Him pardon for our sins.
- It’s an all-in-one package! These are actually the “ends” (theologically-speaking) of the Holy Mass . If you notice, specific parts of the Mass are dedicated to adoration, thanksgiving, petition and reparation.
- “Eucharist” means thanksgiving. We have many motives to give thanks to God. But above all, God deserves our adoration, praise and glorification.
- Besides, we are always in need and God wants us to “ask” so “we might receive”.
- We are also sinners in need of His Mercy and forgiveness. Our venial sins are pardoned in the penitential rite. As to our mortal sins, they are only forgiven if we contritely approach the Sacrament of Confession which is usually administered before, during and after the Holy Mass (in places where there are priests, and good priests at that).
4. To receive God in Holy Communion as nourishment for our soul if we are in the state of grace.
- We go to Mass to be with God, together with the entire Church. But more so, it is not only an external union.
- We could HAVE God in our soul, when we receive Him in Holy Communion in the state of grace.
- If our body needs constant nourishment, so does our soul, and in Communion, we receive not only grace, but the Author of grace Himself, Our Lord Jesus Christ.
5. To love God, make Him happy, and as a consequence, be ourselves happy and know that we are loved by God as well.
- This is yet the most simple and compelling reason: FOR LOVE OF GOD AND TO MAKE HIM HAPPY.
- But above all, to witness God’s immense love for us, for the Holy Mass “makes present” -in a real but incruent way- His total self-giving and sacrifice on the Cross for our salvation. It is the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar which really commemorates the Holy Sacrifice carried out by Jesus at Calvary out of love for us and for our salvation.
There are surely more reasons why we need to go to Mass every Sunday, but I hope the above-mentioned would encourage you to do so. Dear brethren in Christ, let us be generous to God, convinced that God is never outdone in generosity!
God bless you and your family! Fr. Rolly Arjonillo.