POPE FRANCIS CHRISTMAS 2017 URBI ET ORBI BLESSING.
For those who missed it, here is your great opportunity to receive Pope Francis’ Christmas 2017 Urbi et Orbi blessing where you can gain plenary indulgence fulfilling the necessary requisites. Below you have the English translation of the Latin text granting plenary indulgence.
- ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE LATIN TEXT GRANTING PLENARY INDULGENCE.
- WHAT IS URBI ET ORBI?
- WHAT IS AN INDULGENCE?
- THE CONDITIONS TO ATTAIN A PLENARY INDULGENCE:
1. ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE LATIN TEXT GRANTING PLENARY INDULGENCE.
“His Holiness Pope N. grants a plenary indulgence in the form laid down by the Church to all the faithful present and to those who receive his blessing by radio, television and the new communications media. Let us ask Almighty God to grant the Pope many years as leader of the Church and peace and unity to the Church throughout the world.”
May the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, in whose power and authority we trust, intercede for us before the Lord.
Through the prayers and merits of Blessed Mary ever Virgin, Saint Michael the Archangel, Saint John the Baptist, the holy apostles Peter and Paul, and all the saints, may Almighty God have mercy on you and forgive all your sins, and may Jesus Christ bring you to everlasting life.
May the almighty and merciful Lord grant you indulgence, absolution and the remission of all your sins, a season of true and fruitful penance, a well-disposed heart, amendment of life, the grace and comfort of the Holy Spirit and final perseverance in good works.
And may the blessing of Almighty God, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, come down on you and remain with you forever.
2. WHAT IS URBI ET ORBI?
Urbi et Orbi translates into English as “to the City [of Rome] and the world”.
The term dates back to Roman times and is used by the head of the Catholic Church at Easter and Christmas.
3. WHAT IS AN INDULGENCE?
An INDULGENCE is “the remission before God of the temporal punishment due for sins already forgiven as far as their guilt is concerned.”
• To obtain this remission there are proper dispositions and certain conditions predetermined by the Church that must be met by the faithful. The remission is acquired through the intervention of the Church, who has the power to loose and bind granted through Jesus Christ.
An indulgence can either be PARTIAL or PLENARY (TOTAL).
• It is partial if it removes only part of the temporal punishment due to sin, or plenary if it removes all punishment.
To be able to gain an indulgence, ONE MUST HAVE THE INTENTION TO GAIN THEM, and PERFORM THE WORKS AT THE TIME AND IN THE MANNER PRESCRIBED.
4. THE CONDITIONS TO ATTAIN A PLENARY INDULGENCE:
A PLENARY INDULGENCE can be gained only ONE PER DAY. The faithful must be in the STATE OF GRACE and these THREE CONDITIONS MUST ACCOMPANY THE PRESCRIBED ACT:
1. the faithful must receive the sacrament of CONFESSION, either eight days before or after the pious act is performed,
2. receive HOLY COMMUNION on that DAY
3. and recite PRAYERS FOR THE INTENTIONS OF THE HOLY FATHER (one Our Father and one Hail Mary is the minimum, but any other additional prayers may be added).
4. ALL ATTACHMENT TO SIN, EVEN VENIAL SIN, MUST BE ABSENT. If one’s disposition is less than perfect or if some of the above conditions are not fulfilled, the indulgence becomes partial.
VIDEO RECORDING MINE FROM VATICAN NEWS YOUTUBE PAGE.