MAY, THE MONTH OF MOTHER MARY:
IMITATE JESUS IN HIS LOVE FOR OUR LADY!
Decades ago, when I was still in a boy, I remember that during this month dedicated to Our Lady by the entire Catholic Church, many kids in our village would gather at around 5pm in our village church and say the Holy Rosary. Then after praying, we would fall in line and start singing her a song and wait for our turn to offer a flower to Our Lady: flowers which we picked in our garden or in a neighbor’s garden (… 😀 we were kids and during this month flowers abound in the Philippines ) and then receive from the elders a plastic bag with cookies or candies!
WE, TOO, DURING THIS MONTH OF MAY, CAN OFFER TO OUR LADY A “BOUQUET OF FLOWERS” EACH DAY AS A SIGN OF OUR FILIAL LOVE AND AFFECTION. These flowers could be:
– a loving glance at her everytime we see her pictures and saying “I love you Ma, help me love Jesus more”…at the same time;
– a daily kiss to Our Lady everytime we see her picture or statue;
– a daily Marian prayer, say, the Holy Rosary, or the Regina coeli (Queen of heaven)
– a small sacrifice: offering Jesus through her a toothache or a headache; exerting effort to smile or be amiable to the people around us when we feel tired; works of mercy whether corporal or spiritual;helping people who are in need..
– perhaps a pilgrimage to a Marian shrine…
Dear friends, as St. Josemaria wrote: “The month of May is beginning. Our Lord wants us to make good use of this opportunity to increase in his love through dealing with his Mother. Let’s try each day to show her, through little things, little attentions, that we, her children, love her, that our holiness and apostolate are becoming something real, that we are making a constant effort to contribute to the salvation which Christ has brought to the world (St. Josemaria, “Christ is Passing By”, n. 149).”
Fr. Rolly Arjonillo, priest of Opus Dei, of the CATHOLICS STRIVING FOR HOLINESS Facebook page. Kindly do us the favor to invite your friends to like our page so we can reach out and help more people in their path to holiness.
Thanks in advance for this kind help! God bless you and your family!
PHOTO SOURCE: Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, “La Madonna con el Niño” (1655) in https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5a/be/28/5abe28108d0011bcfd873e26a51e0db1.jpg
One Comment Add yours