WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN? THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE OF DOCILITY.
On Sunday, we will be celebrating the solemnity of the great day of PENTECOST when we commemorate the DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT UPON THE APOSTLES, with the Blessed Virgin Mary, ever maternal, reuniting Jesus’ disciples in prayer. It is a day of great joy since God’s first gift to us after the Ascension, is God-Love Himself, thus, fulfilling His promise, pouring out His Spirit in abundance.
As the Catechism teaches:
“On that day, THE HOLY TRINITY IS FULLY REVEALED. Since that day, THE KINGDOM ANNOUNCED BY CHRIST HAS BEEN OPEN TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN HIM: in the humility of the flesh and in faith, they already share in the communion of the Holy Trinity. BY HIS COMING, WHICH NEVER CEASES, THE HOLY SPIRIT CAUSES THE WORLD TO ENTER INTO THE “LAST DAYS,” THE TIME OF THE CHURCH, THE KINGDOM ALREADY INHERITED THOUGH NOT YET CONSUMMATED (Catechism of the Catholic Church, n. 732).
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN?
God the Holy Spirit, being Himself the LOVE which ”proceeds from the Father and the Son” is continually acting on the life of each Christian and on the entire Church. He has THE PROTAGONISTIC TASK OF SANCTIFYING US, THAT IS, MAKING US HOLY or better, making us “other Christs” (St. Josemaria) and sanctifying the entire Church, Her Spouse.
HIS ACTION IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN IS INDISPENSABLE AND INNUMERABLE.
- During BAPTISM, He dwells in our soul, giving us the sanctifying grace which make us Christians, children of God, brothers of Christ, and His temple, together with the cohort of graces and theological virtues.
- HE MAKES US SEE GOD IN EVERYTHING, DIVINIZING NOT ONLY OUR THOUGHTS, WORDS AND ACTIONS BUT THE SOURCES OF OUR ACTION AS WELL: OUR INTELLECT, OUR WILL AND OUR AFFECTIVITY.
He helps us in:
- understanding a truth of faith;
- recognizing what God wants from us;
- perceiving the meaning of an event and the response which God expects from us;
- making a decision and helps us to persevere in it;
- disposing and preparing our soul to conversion, contrition and trust in God;
- rejecting temptations, dominating our disordered passions, overcoming difficulties and disconcertment and discouragement;
- recognizing our obligations, fulfilling them with heroism whenever necessary;
- faithfully persevering and striving in everything which refers to the vocation and misión received from God;
- recognizing Christ in the people around us. (Cfr. J. Illanes, “Tratado de Teología Espiritual”, p. 260ss)
DOCILITY: THE NECESSARY ATTITUDE OF A CHRISTIAN TOWARDS THE HOLY SPIRIT.
His protagonism in the growth process of a Christian’s spiritual life requires from each one of us an indispensable attitude: DOCILITY
- Docility is an attitude which makes one to truly want to be helped and guided by God the Holy Spirit, living in conformity with what He wants from us in each moment.
- It presupposes supernatural faith, full trust in God whom we know loves us and requires personal initiative in carrying out and putting in action what He has inspired us.
- This is the reason why DOCILITY IS A NECESSARY CONDITION for SPIRITUAL PROGRESS.
Dear friends: Let us have a frequent, docile and loving personal relationship with God the Holy Spirit. Let us invoke GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT, GOD’S GIFT OF LOVE, GOD-SANCTIFIER, making use of St. Augustine’s prayer to the Holy Spirit
“Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit,
That my thoughts may all be holy.
Act in me, O Holy Spirit,
That my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit,
That I love but what is holy.
Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit,
To defend all that is holy.
Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit,
That I always may be holy.”
Holy Mary, Spouse of the Holy Spirit, pray for us!
Cordially inviting you to like and followwww.facebook.com/Catholicsstrivingforholiness and share our posts to help more people in their Christian faith and life. Thanks! Fr. Rolly Arjonillo.
SEE AS WELL: SOLEMNITY OF PENTECOST (A). Allow God to work in our soul. AV summary +full text in https://catholicsstrivingforholiness.com/2017/06/01/solemnity-of-the-pentecost-a-allow-god-the-holy-spirit-to-act-in-our-soul-av-summary-full-text/
SUGGESTED READINGS FOR MEDITATION:
St. Josemaria, “Christ is Passing By”, Homily, “The Great Unknown” in http://www.escrivaworks.org/book/christ_is_passing_by/contents/13
As St. Josemaria said in his book, “Christ is passing by” n. 136: “CHRISTIAN LIFE REQUIRES A CONSTANT DIALOGUE WITH GOD, one in three persons, AND IT IS TO THIS INTIMACY THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT LEADS US. ‘For who among men knows the things of a man save the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so, the things of God no one knows but the Spirit of God.’ IF WE HAVE A CONSTANT RELATIONSHIP WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT, WE WILL BECOME SPIRITUAL OURSELVES, we will realize that we are Christ’s brothers and children of God, and we will not hesitate to call upon our Father at any time.
LET US ACQUIRE THE HABIT OF CONVERSATION WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT, WHO IS THE ONE WHO WILL MAKE US HOLY. Let us TRUST in him and ASK his HELP and FEEL HIS CLOSENESS TO US. IN THIS WAY OUR POOR HEART WILL GROW; we will have a GREATER DESIRE TO LOVE GOD AND TO LOVE ALL CREATURES FOR GOD’S SAKE. And OUR LIVES WILL REPRODUCE THAT FINAL VISION OF THE Apocalypse: THE SPIRIT AND THE SPOUSE, THE HOLY SPIRIT AND THE CHURCH — AND EVERY CHRISTIAN — CALLING ON JESUS CHRIST TO COME AND BE WITH US FOREVER.”