PRACTICAL TIPS ON THE PREPARATION FOR PENTECOST.
It is a beautiful long-standing tradition in the Catholic Church to interiorly prepare one’s self for Pentecost Sunday during which the Church commemorates the Descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, fulfilling thus what Our Lord promised before ascending into heaven that He will send us the “Paraclete”, “Consoler” or the “Advocate”.
Usually, the 10-day preparation begins on the Ascension Thursday (in some countries, Ascension is celebrated during this day, while in others on the 7th Sunday of Easter).
GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE THIRD PERSON OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY and He is the LOVE WHICH “PROCEEDS FROM THE FATHER AND THE SON.”
- He is the SANCTIFIER, the One who makes us holy, shapes Our Lord Jesus Christ’s image and life in us if we are faithful and obedient to His grace.
- This is the reason why WE MUST ALSO LEARN TO HAVE AN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM BEING DOCILE TO THE INSPIRATIONS HE SENDS US MANY TIMES DURING THE DAY SO AS TO STAY ON THE PATH OF LOVE FOR GOD, THE PATH TOWARDS HOLINESS, which is nothing but OUR IDENTIFICATION WITH CHRIST, “TO BE OTHER CHRIST’S, CHRIST HIMSELF (ALTER CHRISTUS, IPSE CHRISTUS – St. Josemaria) ”.
HOW CAN WE PREPARE OURSELVES FOR PENTECOST? Here are some practical tips 😀
- Seek a PERSONAL and LOVING FRIENDSHIP WITH GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT all throughout the day making use of “HUMAN DEVICES” to REMIND YOURSELF OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, PRAY TO HIM AND INVOKE HIM.
- An example of a human device is the following: whenever you see a DOVE, a BIRD or any FLYING CREATURE for that matter (all these creatures were created by God and thus are good), say an aspiration like “COME, HOLY SPIRIT, FILL THE HEARTS OF YOUR FAITHFUL”; “GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT, LORD, THE GIVER OF LIFE, COME AND REST IN MY SOUL”; “COME HOLY SPIRIT, HELP ME BE DOCILE TO YOUR INSPIRATIONS” etc.
- LEARN A PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT and pray it everyday whenever you want (when you wake up, when you start working, before giving a talk, class, conversation or meeting, before doing your daily examination of conscience at night…)
- MEDITATE ON THE ACTION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN OUR SOUL, ON HIS GIFTS AND FRUITS.
- Be DOCILE to the many inspirations He whispers to your ear in your personal prayer, encouraging you to do what is good and avoid what is harmful or evil, or what can offend God or other people.
Dear friends, as St. Josemaria said, the Holy Spirit is the “Great Unknown” for among the Three Persons of the Most Blessed Trinity, He is the least dealt with. During these days, may we get to know Him, deal with Him more, in a loving and intimate friendship, convinced that WE ARE NOT ALONE… THE HOLY SPIRIT, LIVING IN OUR SOUL IN GRACE — GOD WITH US, — IS GIVING A SUPERNATURAL TONE TO ALL OUR THOUGHTS, DESIRES AND ACTIONS (cfr. St. Josemaria, “The Way,” n. 273)
Cordially inviting you to like and follow https://www.facebook.com/CatholicsstrivingforHoliness and share our posts to help more people in their Christian faith and life. You may also want to subscribe to our website, www.catholicsstrivingforholiness.com Thanks and God bless! Fr. Rolly Arjonillo.
SEE AS WELL: SOLEMNITY OF PENTECOST (A). Allow God to work in our soul. AV summary +full text in https://catholicsstrivingforholiness.com/2017/06/01/solemnity-of-the-pentecost-a-allow-god-the-holy-spirit-to-act-in-our-soul-av-summary-full-text/
PHOTO CREDIT: TITIAN (painter) , Pentecost.