Oct. 2: FEAST OF THE HOLY GUARDIAN ANGELS
Audiovisual summary and text.
“Angels of the Lord, bless the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever!”
As we pray in the Entrance Antiphon of the when the entire Church, basing Herself on the Sacred Scriptures, celebrates the feast/solemnity (in some places this Sunday) of the Holy Guardian Angels.
Our Mother Church believes that God, out of His Loving Providence, has given each person his own Guardian Angel. The ANGELS, tangible proof of God’s love for us and of Divine Providence, are GOD’S SERVANTS and MESSENGERS whose MISSION is:
- to TAKE CARE OF OUR MATERIAL AND SPIRITUAL NECESSITIES;
- to PROTECT us from harm;
- to SHOW us God’s will and HELP us fulfill it;
- and, to GUIDE us along the right path which leads us to heaven.
The Holy Bible is full of narrations involving the special intervention of angels. A few examples are as follows:
- Faith in the mission of the angels to protect individual persons is led Israel to exclaim when he blessed his grandchildren, the sons of Joseph: “May the angel who redeemed me from all evil bless them (Gen 48:16).”
- The First Reading of the Mass recalls what Our Lord told Moses: “Behold, I send an angel before you, to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place which I have prepared (Ex 23:20-23).” These our words which God directs to each one of us as well.
- The New Testament encourages us to have recourse to our Guardian Angel and imitate the naturalness with which the first Christians dealt with the angels. Remember how the Angels came down and helped Our Lord after his temptations in the desert? Or how St. Peter and St. Paul miraculously left the prison with the help of the Angels…?
Dear friends, do we have daily recourse and ask the help of our friend-protector, our own guardian angel? Do we daily say to him the prayer we have learned as a child?
Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom His love commits me here, ever this day (or night) be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.
St. Josemaria said:
“You seemed amazed because your guardian angel has done so many obvious favours for you. But you shouldn’t be: That’s why Our Lord has placed him at your side (The Way, 565).”
Do we deal with him in confidence and ask his help daily in all our material and spiritual needs and obey his inspirations? Let us thank God, who out of His fatherly love, gave us our Guardian Angel; let us thank our Guardian Angel for the countless times he helped us, even without us knowing it; and let us make the resolution to be his faithful and grateful friend by dealing with him and praying to him frequently throughout the day.
God our Father, in your loving providence send your angels to watch over us. Hear our prayers and defend us always through their protection. Let us share your life with them forever
(Opening Prayer, Mass proper).
-Fr. Rolly Arjonillo, priest of Opus Dei. CATHOLICS STRIVING FOR HOLINESS Facebook page, website and Youtube channel. Hope you like our page and invite your friends as well to do so in order to help more people.
AUDIO CREDIT, “Cantate Domino” (Josh Elberdin) by the Philippine Madrigal Singers sung in Tovo Sant’Agata, Italy, 2014/6/16 La Fabbrica del Canto, recorded and uploaded by Tin Chen in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBLesPJ6DE.
The Philippine Madrigal Singers is a world-renowned choir which throughout these decades has garnered top prizes in the most prestigious international choral competitions. Recently, it won the Grand Prix prize at the 2016 Arezzo International Choral Competition, giving them the right to participate in the prestigious European Grand Prix -which they have already won twice in 1997 and 2007 being the first choir to achieve such feat-, to be held in Tolosa, Spain next year.
Its choirmaster is Mark Anthony Carpio, a world-renowned choirmaster and personal friend as well. He gave me permission to use the track for this video. Thanks a lot, Mark! And more power to all of the Philippine Madrigal Singers!
PHOTO SOURCE: Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Ángel de la Guarda, in https://catholicsstrivingforholiness.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/fb078-angelguarda_murillo_1665_catedral_sevilla_ret.jpg