COMMEMORATION OF ALL THE FAITHFUL DEPARTED. ALL SOULS’ DAY.
Today we dedicate our prayers to help our faithful departed brothers and sisters and all the holy in Purgatory, still purifying themselves from the remains of sin. Our bonds with them, especially with our deceased relatives and friends, do not end with their death.
During this month of November let us live the virtues of solidarity and charity with all the faithful departed and Holy Souls in Purgatory by offering PRAYERS IN SUFFRAGE for them especially the HOLY MASS, the HOLY ROSARY, as well as with ALMSGIVING, WORKS OF PENANCE or sacrifices and INDULGENCES.
WHAT ARE THE INDULGENCES? (taken from http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/activities/view.cfm?id=1178)
Throughout November, the Church prays for all who are in the purifying fires of Purgatory, waiting for the day when they will join the company of the saints in heaven. The celebration of Mass is the highest means the Church can provide for charity for the dead, but we can also relieve their sufferings through our prayers, sufferings and penances. We can also help the Poor Souls by doing acts and prayers that have indulgences attached to them. There are many indulgences, applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory, that can be obtained during the month of November.
An INDULGENCE is “the remission before God of the temporal punishment due for sins already forgiven as far as their guilt is concerned.”
- To obtain this remission, there are proper dispositions and certain conditions predetermined by the Church that must be met by the faithful. The remission is acquired through the intervention of the Church, who has the power to loose and bind granted through Jesus Christ.
An indulgence can either be PARTIAL or PLENARY (TOTAL).
- It is partial if it removes only part of the temporal punishment due to sin, or plenary if it removes all punishment.
To be able to gain an indulgence, ONE MUST HAVE THE INTENTION TO GAIN THEM, and PERFORM THE WORKS AT THE TIME AND IN THE MANNER PRESCRIBED.
THE TRADITIONAL CONDITIONS TO ATTAIN A PLENARY INDULGENCE:
A PLENARY INDULGENCE can be gained only ONE PER DAY. The faithful must be in the STATE OF GRACE and these THREE CONDITIONS MUST ACCOMPANY THE PRESCRIBED ACT:
1. the faithful must receive the sacrament of CONFESSION either eight days before or after the pious act is performed,
2. receive HOLY COMMUNION on that DAY
3. and recite PRAYERS FOR THE INTENTIONS OF THE HOLY FATHER (one Our Father and one Hail Mary is the minimum, but any other additional prayers may be added).
4. ALL ATTACHMENT TO SIN, EVEN VENIAL SIN, MUST BE ABSENT. If one’s disposition is less than perfect or if some of the above conditions are not fulfilled, the indulgence becomes partial.
PRESCRIBED INDULGENCED ACTS FOR THE POOR HOLY SOULS IN PURGATORY:
With the above conditions taken into account, the one can perform the indulgenced act for the souls in purgatory which may be one of the following:
- A PARTIAL indulgence can be obtained by DEVOUTLY VISITING A CEMETERY AND PRAYING FOR THE DEPARTED, even if the prayer is only mental.
- 2. One can gain a PLENARY indulgence by VISITING A CEMETERY EACH DAY BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1 AND NOVEMBER 8. These indulgences are applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory.
- A PLENARY indulgence, again applicable only the Souls in Purgatory, is also granted when the faithful piously VISIT A CHURCH OR A PUBLIC ORATORY ON NOVEMBER 2. In visiting the church or oratory, it is required, that one Our Father and the Creed be recited.
- A PARTIAL indulgence, applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory, can be obtained when the ETERNAL REST is prayed. This can be done throughout the year, but most especially during the month of November:
“Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.”
Dear friends, let us help our faithful departed brothers and sisters reach heaven as soon as possible by living the communion of the saints, offering prayers in suffrage for them and gaining indulgences on their behalf. Mother Mary, Help of Christians, Refuge of sinners, Comforter of the afflicted, we fly to your patronage to intercede for our faithful departed brethren so that they may soon enter into the eternal bliss contemplating the Most Blessed Trinity!
-Fr. Rolly Arjonillo, priest of Opus Dei, CATHOLICS STRIVING FOR HOLINESS. We are also in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CatholicsstrivingforHoliness. Hope you like our page and invite your friends as well to do so in order to help more people.
If you have friends who do not have a Facebook account but you think would benefit from our posts, they can receive our posts by email once they follow us and subscribe in www.catholicsstrivingforholiness.com
PHOTO SOURCE: Sunken Cemetery in Camiguin Island, Philippines in http://www.arcreyes.com/Pearl-of-the-Orient/Camiguin/i-XsMjZ8k/2/XL/The%20Sunken%20Cemetery-XL.jpg